We don’t just do generators here at NY Electric Company. One of the many services we provide is the installation of landscape lighting. Whether it’s your home or business, we’ve got the skills to light it up! Before you get started, however, think about some of these pointers on how to light things up the right way.
Know Your Lighting Types
Lighting anything is a delicate process, especially when it comes to landscape lighting. In your yard, or in front of your office, remember that “less is more”. Just a bit of lighting can go a really long way. It’s a good idea to think about the types of lighting before you get started:
- Overall: Overall lighting provides for a full room.
- Task: Task lighting provides light for a particular purpose, as in pathway lighting.
- Accent: Accent lighting shines on a specific object or area. For example, a spotlight on a house number or floodlights in your yard.
What Bulbs Should We Use?
There are many bulb choices for landscape lighting. LED bulbs are a great choice because of their long life and low energy consumption. Those do tend to be costly, so you can always go with fluorescents or halogen bulbs. Another option is to supply power to your landscape lighting through your building’s wiring. If you are being cost and environmentally conscious, solar landscape lighting is a strong choice.
Where Should I Place My Lighting?
You can place your landscape lighting anywhere, but there are definitely certain spots that are basically mandatory for a proper landscape lighting design.
- Paths: What better way to welcome people to your home than with a well lit path? A lighted path provides not only illumination, but a sense of safety and hospitality for your guests as well.
- Driveway: Some low voltage landscape lighting is a good idea to place along your driveway. It may provide a nice highlight for your vehicle.
- Entrances: Welcoming lighting on your entries is a really great way to make your home look inviting. It can also highlight your house number for visitors.
- Steps: If your property has steps it is vital that you provide some lighting. Guests and visitors need to be safe and lighting is the best way to provide them that sense of safety.
- Decks and Patios: A great lighting design can really accentuate outdoor areas of entertaining. Task lighting can be used to highlight cooking areas, seating areas, or your pool.
Tips for Avoiding Light Pollution
Be mindful of using too much, or poorly installed lighting. This could poorly affect the environment and create an uncomfortable experience for guests. To avoid light pollution, make sure you position lights carefully and shield your light bulbs. Low wattage bulbs are usually a smart choice for outdoor lighting.
If you have any questions about our landscape lighting techniques and services, do not hesitate to call NY Electric Company today. We’re here to light the way for your home or business for years to come.